Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Setting up Your Word Work and a FREEBIE! By Laura G :)

Hey Guys!
 I don't know if I have mentioned before that I teach in a year round school. The schedule is awesome...we work 9 weeks, then we go on break for 3 weeks...it is lovely! Just when you think you can't do it any longer...BAM!!! There comes the break! So anyways\, my schedule is a little different and because of that I have been with 24  amazing first graders since July 23.  In my district The Daily 5 is an expectation, and even though I am NOT the kind of professional that "buys" into something 100%, I do like a lot of the Daily 5 components. So I am here to show you how I set up my word work area in my lovely little classroom. I really don't have anything spiffy-color coded-chevron to show you. I do like cutesy stuff, I do, but I like intentional-meaningful-creative-practical stuff more.

So this is how I did it. Nothing fancy, just easy for my students to have access to.


I have a magnetic letters, and dry erase  boards shelf. 


If you see at the bottom, I have grouped a bunch of phonics games for my students to use as well. Each game will probably take some explaining, I might do it my self, or my wonderful assistant help me with them.


I also use these labeling packs by First Grade Blue Skies. You can find them HERE!




So many possibilities! I also incorporate Pat Cunningham's research found in "Phonics They Use" by having a vocabulary/science words area. 

BUT, this is what I have to say. If you are expected to do Daily 5 or any other program, and you know who you are,  you have certain beliefs, and you know what your students need... MAKE IT WORK FOR YOU AND YOUR STUDENTS USING YOUR KNOWLEDGE!  No matter what program or management system, always remember:  “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

To get my freebie click HERE!! 




Blessings to all of you!
Laura :)


 

2 comments: