We are seven stupendous teachers on the journey of a lifetime to provide students with the tools they need to thrive in the 21st century. We are riding down the highway of learning as we infuse our classrooms with passion, creativity, fun, and rigor.
1. THE POWER OF EXAMPLE— Let them see you reading. A lot. And enjoying it!
2. BOOK HOOKS— Read the first page or two of a new book, and then put it into the classroom library. Kids who were blasé became hooked on the books.
Our classroom's reading jar
3. READING JAR— In my reading corner I have a jar to record how many books we have read collectively. Every time a student reads a book from cover to cover, they can put a stone in the jar. I love hearing the clink, clink!
Our reading goal
4. MAKE A GOAL— As a class, set a goal for how many books you want to read throughout the school year (the reading jar helps me keep track of this). Display your progress with pride.
5. READ— Read aloud, every day, no excuses. Our schedules are tight, but defend your read aloud time! It is powerful.