Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Using Dough in the Elementary Classroom

There are very few things that bring me back to my childhood as quickly as the smell of a fresh box of crayons.... or playdough. :) There was just something magical in opening a fresh tub of dough and seeing that perfectly formed cylinder of brightly colored dough! 

Inspired by my own childhood memories, I got to thinking- how can we use dough to enhance our math stations?

I've tested out several "made from scratch" dough recipes. Some with unique smells, some editable.... But I've decided on my favorite recipe I'd like to share. Ultimately I chose this one, as it doesn't require any cooking and would be safe to create in the classroom. 




You could also add 1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity), food coloring (liquid, powder, or unsweetened drink mix) or scented oils.

So now that your dough is made... What do we do with it in the classroom?

Dough can be formed into any type of math manipulative you need!  I've found a variety of uses for it- just take a look at some of the ways you can use dough to represent different math concepts!

For my youngest students, we can use dough to represent different numbers and number words.




Students working on basic addition and subtraction will benefit from dough mats too, as they allow students to represent any problem in a variety of ways.




Dough can even assist students with place value!


Here are a few more of my favorite ways to use dough to teach math concepts:





Want to test out a dough mat with your students? I've got a free one just for you! With this dough mat, students will work on creating different flat shapes. This is a wonderful opportunity to discuss the number of edges and vertices with your students. 



Click the image to download your copy free!

All the dough mats featured above are available to you individually, or in a bundle. Click here to see them all! 

How do you use dough in your classroom lessons? I'd love to hear your ideas! Please take a moment to share your thoughts with us by posting a message below.

Want to connect with me? Click a button below! 





No comments:

Post a Comment