Sunday, September 14, 2014

A picture is worth a thousand words

“A picture is worth a thousand words.”  We’ve all heard this quote and many of us have probably used it at some point in time.  The quote refers to the notion that a complex idea can be conveyed with just a photograph. 
As I was gathering ideas on lessons to do with my 4th graders for Patriot Day (9/11) I stumbled across a wonderful lesson on the use of photographs from that day.  My 4th graders were not alive when terrorists attacked our country on that sorrowful day.  I, like most of you, remember it very vividly.  As I was planning my activities for the day my attempt was to convey the emotions of that day to my students.  For this lesson I printed several pictures from 9/11 and the days following. 
Here are a few of the photos we used:
 http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/399/cache/september-9-11-attacks-anniversary-ground-zero-world-trade-center-pentagon-flight-93-second-airplane-wtc_39997_600x450.jpg

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/399/cache/september-9-11-attacks-anniversary-ground-zero-world-trade-center-pentagon-flight-93-second-airplane-wtc_39997_600x450.jpg   http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/400/custom/september-9-11-attacks-anniversary-ground-zero-world-trade-center-pentagon-flight-93-firefighters-rescuing_40008_610x343.jpg

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/400/custom/september-9-11-attacks-anniversary-ground-zero-world-trade-center-pentagon-flight-93-firefighters-rescuing_40008_610x343.jpg
I put my students into groups of 3 or 4.  Students were given chart paper along with their picture.  Students were to divide their chart paper into 3 sections and label them post photo, photo and pre photo.  In the middle section with the photo students were to list the details and emotion of the photo.  In the pre photo section students were to predict what may have happened and how people may have felt before the picture was taken.  In the post photo section students wrote what may have happened and the emotions after the photo was taken.

Here is a picture of some of my kiddos creating their posters:


Once each poster was completed the groups presented their work.
I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at how much my students focused on the emotion attached to their picture.

 While this assignment was focused around our study of Patriot day it could certainly be used for any photograph.  As an extension activity students were to write about their photo and include their pre photo and post photo predictions in their writing.

*The entire lesson can be found here: http://www.911memorial.org/sites/all/files/HI_Lens%20into%209.11_0.pdf



***A Special thank you to my 4th grade team member Callie Myers for finding this lesson.***


No comments:

Post a Comment