Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Do You Do MCLASS Reading 3D {TRC}?

At the beginning of the year every primary teacher has to assess their students' reading levels. I am no exception. In my district we are mandated to use MClass Reading 3D {TRC}. I think we have been using this assessment for maybe 6 or so years but it was not long ago that things changed. This is how it works: You give a student a  book {leveled using the F&P system} the child reads the book, then the student answers some oral comprehension questions. If the student answers at least 3 of those oral questions correctly, then the real fun  challenging part begins. Boy oh boy! The student has to answer very very difficult questions in writing. Yes, you read it right. IN. WRITING. So what is a  first grade teacher to do when faced with such a challenge? Use everything you know, read more, digest new research, etc... As I reflected about best practices to meet these expectations, I started thinking that the best way to have my students perform in the writing component of TRC was to actually integrate writing within my guided reading groups. I didn't feel that the instruction I provided during writing workshop was enough to supply my students with the strategies to sit down and be competitive.  I had been using a membership to Reading A to Z {honestly, if you don't have one, and you are a primary teacher, you are missing out on great resources} and I was integrating CAFE strategies with my guided reading groups. I looked and looked everywhere for resources that would match the standards assessed in the different levels of TRC with no luck. Well boo-hoo! This is the tipping point in which I decided to create my own resources, and when I did I had the opportunity to teach my students the language of the test,  the evidence based terminology and skills necessary to truly respond to text. This is an example:

                


 If you are looking to have your students practice TRC questions at levels F-G please click HERE!!
 For practice at levels H-I click HERE!!
 For levels J-K please click HERE!!
 And for the higher levels L-M-N please click HERE!!!

So here is my question: What type of reading assessment do you use? What do you think about it? As you respond leave me your email! I will be asking my 8 year old son to help me choose the best answer! Ha! If you are chosen I will email you:
1.OA.6 Fact-O-Lantern Fact Families!!

Yep! My brand new "Fact-O-Lantern" activity just in time for the fall. You can check it out HERE!!

I can't wait to hear all about your testing adventures!!

Laura

6 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed previewing your A-Z guided reading/writing integration packets. I am wondering if you plan to continue past level N? I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this effort. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise,
    I really want to past level N. However, I do not know if there is a market for that product. In my county, due to budget, we are cutting MCLass after 3rd grade after next year... I heard that rumor. I do not know if anyone in the U.S. uses MClass... Thank you for your response. Email me your emaill address at thetopnotchteacher@gmail.com and I will send you the fact-o-lanterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    I just stumbled upon your products while doing a google search for practice questions for mclass. I am an ESL teacher, and all my students struggle with answering these questions!! Do you have a product set for levels A to E?
    --Debbie Lindsey deborahlindsey@fcschools.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,
    I just stumbled upon your products while doing a google search for practice questions for mclass. I am an ESL teacher, and all my students struggle with answering these questions!! Do you have a product set for levels A to E?
    --Debbie Lindsey deborahlindsey@fcschools.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...the Rigby book that you indicate is from a reading series?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first year teaching 1st grade after teaching 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I have students reading (looking at their kindergarten end of year mclass assessment) below an A to an E. I'm hoping as I start testing tomorrow so will have grown but know a lot of regression happens on the summer slide. I'm curious of ideas/activities to keep these "just learning to read students" working while I'm doing MClass. Attention spans are short and reading stamina hasn't went over 3 minutes yet. In search of help..

    ReplyDelete